› Sign up to our newsletter

Exhibitions

Current Exhibition

A Pop-up Exhibition on the Great War – June to September 2018

As part of the commemoration of the First World War, there is a new display at Fulham Palace.  The pop-up exhibition in Bishop Sherlock’s Room tells the story of the Great War at Fulham Palace.  Bishop Winnington-Ingram, who was Bishop of London at the time, was a controversial public figure during the war, preaching stirring sermons and recruiting volunteers.  In early 1918, he offered Fulham Palace to the Red Cross as a hospital. On 31 May that year,  the Duke of Connaught opened the ‘Freemasons War Hospital No 2’ at the Palace.  It had 100 beds for convalescent and shell-shocked patients and was run by a team of Voluntary Aid Detachment nurses under the charge of the matron, Lady Fox-Symons.  The hospital closed on 20 June 1919.  Many of the photographs in the exhibition come from an autograph album which belonged to one of the nurses, Sister Mary Latchmore. It was given to the Museum by Barbara Mann and as well as autographs it contains photographs of the staff and patients as well as sketches and poems done by the patients for Sister Latchmore. The display will continue until early September.

Previous Exhibitions

Fulham Palace Through Postcards

There was a national craze for postcards from 1898 to the end of the Great War in 1918, the so-called Golden Age of the Postcard.  With up to six deliveries a day postcards could be used to arrange meetings, much as we do by texting today.  Picture postcards were produced as souvenirs covering every conceivable aspect of life and death and millions were sent through the post each week.  Although Fulham Palace was a private residence, postcards were sold of the exterior, the interior and the gardens as well of the Bishop of London himself.

This exhibition surveys the variety of postcards from all periods relating to the Palace and explores what they can reveal about its history. It also includes embroidered postcards of the Palace and the garden, made by Fulham Palace volunteers, who took their inspiration from the silk cards produced during the Great War in France. 

The Fulham Palace buildings are a fascinating mixture of architectural styles which have developed over the centuries. This exhibition explored the lives of the different architects who have worked at the site. Stiff Leadbetter, the first known architect to work at the Palace, remodelled the building in the fashionable Strawberry Hill style in the 1760s for Bishop Terrick. By 1818 the Palace had been altered extensively once more, this time for Bishop Howley for Samuel Pepys Cockerell. In 1866 Bishop Tait commissioned William Butterfield to design the existing Gothic Revival Chapel.

The displays looked at the different bishops and their architects who have transformed the Palace over the centuries, along with the different crafts used to embellish the building such as stained glass, plasterwork, mosaic and ceramic tiles.

 

The exhibition told the story of the Great War at the Palace, the role of the Bishop of London during the national crisis and examined the Palace’s use as an auxiliary military hospital during 1918 and 1919.

The exhibition contained the newly acquired autograph album of nurse Sister Mary Latchmore. The images, poems and drawings of the patients give us a powerful insight to life at Fulham Palace during this time.

Visit our online exhibition about the Great War at the Palace

Exhibitions
Exhibitions
Exhibitions
Exhibitions
Designed at Richard P Chapman Design Associates

We use cookies to improve our website and provide you with a better service. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click here.

Close